Accepting Umrah Money from Daughter Who Left Islam: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Umrah > Accepting Umrah Money from Daughter Who Left Islam: OK?

Rafiq

Feb 26, 2019

Question

Can I make Umrah from the money given to me from my daughter who unfortunately left Islam?

Answer

Accepting Umrah Money from Daughter Who Left Islam

Accepting Umrah money from your own daughter, is lawful [halal]. It does not matter whether she gave you this money before or after her unfortunate decision to leave Islam.

Answering your question, Sheikh Mustafa Umar, President of California Islamic University, states:

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear that your daughter left Islam. This is a great test from Allah. I encourage you to be patient and persevere through this test. May Allah bring her back to Islam.

Regarding the status of the money you were given, the general principle in Islam is that money which you have obtained through lawful [halal] means is lawful for you.

Accepting a gift from anyone, especially your own daughter, is also lawful [halal]. It does not matter whether she gave you this money before or after her unfortunate decision to leave Islam.

Therefore, since this money belongs to you and it was acquired lawfully, you may use it as you wish. Umrah would be a great way to utilize this money in order to earn reward, get closer to Allah, and be able to pray for your daughter while in Makkah.

About Sheikh Mustafa Umar

Sheikh Mustafa Umar is the President of California Islamic University.