Reciting the Quran in Other Languages: Rewarded?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Qur’an & Hadith > Reciting the Quran in Other Languages: Rewarded?

Salwa

Sep 23, 2017

Question

As-salamu`alaykum. I have a query reciting the Qur’an. If someone reads the meaning of Glorious Qur’an in his or her native language, does that person receive the same benefit of reading it in Arabic?

Answer

Reciting the Quran in Other Languages Rewarded

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

1- As the Qur’an is Allah’s word, it cannot be substituted by any other translation. All translations are just human appreciated efforts to understand the meanings of the Qur’anic verses.

2- As for reciting for worship, it must be in Arabic, so every non-Arab Muslim is highly urged to learn how to recite it in Arabic.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

The Qur’an, the Word of Allah, was revealed in Arabic. It is inimitable; as such, no translation can ever be a substitute for it. So the rewards of reading the Qur’an cannot be extended to reading a translation; any translation is only a human rendering of the meanings of the Qur’an as its author has understood it.

Therefore, I would urge you to learn to read the Qur’an in Arabic. Once you mobilize the will and are willing to take the steps by trusting Allah, you will succeed. Until then, you can always listen to the recitation of the Qur’an recorded by the famous reciters.

Here is a site which has published so many of them; you can access the recitation of the famous reciter Minshawi here:

You can even learn if you practice reading after him as he teaches the children in Al-Mushaf Al-Mu’allim.

Having said this, I would also urge you to read any of the standard translations of the Qur’an such as those of Yusuf Ali, Muhammad Asad, Picktall, etc. But you must never stop at reading the translation, for it can never replace the Qur’an.