Does Vaginal Exam Invalidate Gynecologist’s Wudu'?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Does Vaginal Exam Invalidate Gynecologist’s Wudu?

Does Vaginal Exam Invalidate Gynecologist’s Wudu?

Hager

Feb 23, 2018

Question

I am a female gynecologist and obstetrician. I want to know if my wudu is gone if I did a vaginal exam for a female for medical reasons.

Answer

Vaginal Exam

1- If you are using gloves, your ablution is valid. But if you directly touch a patient’s vagina, you are advised to perform wudu.

Responding to your question, Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD in Islamic Studies in English and an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Science, Al-Madinah International University, states,

If you are wearing gloves or using other tools for the vaginal exam without directly touching the vagina, your wudu is still valid.

But if the skin of the palm of your hand directly touches your patient’s vagina, it is preferable to make wudu again to be on the safe side; because the validity of wudu in this case is controversial.

About Dr. Muhammad Salama

Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD, Islamic Studies in English, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Sciences al-Madinah International University (Mediu)