Singling Out a Particular Surah in Fajr Prayer: Permissible?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Singling Out a Particular Surah in Fajr Prayer: Permissible?

Sarah

Dec 18, 2017

Question

In Fajr prayer, I always recite Surat Al-Inshirah in the first rak`ah, because I believe and feel when I recite this particular surah that I am beginning a new day. Please note that I have memorized a lot of the surahs of the Quran. What is the ruling on singling out a particular surah – namely Surat Al-Inshirah – for the first rak`ah of Fajr prayer?

Answer

Singling Out a Particular Surah in Fajr Prayer

Singling out a surah for recitation in any prayer without evidence comes under the heading of innovation. 

Responding to your question, The Standing Committee for Islamic Research and Ifta’ states:

What is prescribed in Fajr prayer is to make the recitation lengthy, and to recite whatever one can of Quran after Al-Fatihah, without singling out a particular surah, except in cases where a particular surah has been mentioned in reports, such as Surat As-Sajdah and Surat Al-Insan in Fajr prayer on Fridays, because singling out a surah without evidence to that effect comes under the heading of innovation. (Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Da’imah, 5:340)

About Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’

The Standing Committee for Islamic Research and Iftaa' in Saudi Arabia