Saying “Taqabbal Allah” after Prayers: Allowed? | About Islam
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Saying “Taqabbal Allah” after Prayers: Allowed?

Saying “Taqabbal Allah” after Prayers: Allowed?

Anonymous

Dec 17, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I have a question for you. Is it innovation (bid`ah) to say taqabbal Allah (may Allah accept our prayers) after finishing the prayer? I had a discussion with someone in my mosque in Libya about this. I feel like there is nothing wrong with saying it. I would like to check with you about this.

Answer

Prayers

A Muslim can say to his fellow taqabbal Allah (may Allah accept our prayers) after or before the Prayers bearing in mind that this is not part of the Prayers in order to avoid doing innovation (bid`ah).

Responding to your question, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, president of the Fiqh Council of North America, stated,

The innovation (bid`ah) is anything that is introduced in religion without any evidence from the Qur’an and/or Sunnah.

Now let us look at this custom of saying (taqaballah) after the Prayers. There is no proof that the Prophet (peace be upon him) instructed his Companions to do that after the Prayers. Also, there is no evidence that the Companions used to do that.

So, if someone thinks that this is part of the Prayers, then it is bid`ah, because it has no proof. However, if someone does it as a way of greeting and knowing the people who pray next to him, then it is not bid`ah.

One should not make it a habit and should not feel that it must be done. You can do it occasionally before or after the Prayers and with the understanding that it is not part of worship.

About Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi is the Chairman of the Fiqh Council of North America