Reciting the Opening Supplication in Tarawih Prayer: How?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Reciting the Opening Supplication in Tarawih Prayer: How?

Fahd

Jun 11, 2018

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. Should we say the opening du’aa’ (supplication) at the beginning of each two rak’ahs of the tarawih prayer?

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

It is recommended for you to recite the opening supplication (duaa) at the beginning of each two rak`ahs of tarawih prayer.

Duaa al-Istiftah means the opening supplication. It is a sunnah act of prayer and it is said after “Allahu akbar” when beginning the prayer.

With regard to your question, it is recommended for you to recite the opening duaa at the beginning of each two rak`ahs of tarawih prayer.

There are two duaa’s the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to say:

Allahumma baid bayni wa bayna khatayaya kama ba`adta bayna al-mashriqi wal-maghrib. Allahumma naqqini min khatayaya kama yunaqqa al-thawb al-abyad min al-danas. Allaahumma ighsilni min khatayaaa bil-thalji wal-maa’i wal-barad.

“O Allah, put a great distance between me and my sins, as great as the distance You have made between the East and the West. O Allah, cleanse me of sin as a white garment is cleansed from filth. O Allah, wash away my sins with snow and water and hail.” (Al-Bukhari)

And:

Subhanaka Allahuma wabi hamdik, wata-baraka ismuk, wa ta’ala jad-duka wala ilaha ghayruk.

“Glory be to you, O Allah, and all praises are due unto You, and blessed is Your name and high is Your majesty and none is worthy of worship but you.” (Sahih Al-Jami`)

Allah the Almighty knows best.

About Ask the Scholar Editor