Menses Stopped Before Sunset: Should I Pray Zhuhr and `Asr?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Menses Stopped Before Sunset: Should I Pray Zhuhr and `Asr?

Azza

Oct 16, 2017

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. When a menstruating woman becomes pure before sunrise is it obligatory upon her to perform the Maghrib and `Isha' prayers? Similarly, if She becomes pure before sunset, is it obligatory upon her to perform the Zhuhr and `Asr prayers?

Answer

Menses Stopped Before Sunse Should I Pray Zhuhr and Asr

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

1- If menses stops before sunset, a woman has to perform both the Zhuhr and `Asr prayers.

2- If menses stops before dawn, a woman must perform the Maghrib and `Isha‘ prayers.

3- If menses stops before sunrise, a woman must perform the Fajr prayer.

Answering your question, the late Saudi scholar, Sheikh Ibn Baz (may Allah have mercy on him) stated: 

If a menstruating or postpartum bleeding woman becomes pure before sunset, it is obligatory upon her to perform both the Zhuhr and `Asr prayers according to the strongest opinion among the scholars.

Similar is the case if she becomes pure before dawn. In that case, she must perform the Maghrib and `Isha’ prayers. This has been narrated from `Abdul-Rahman Ibn `Awf and `Abdullah Ibn `Abbas. This is the opinion of the majority of the scholars.

Similarly, if a menstruating or postpartum bleeding woman becomes pure before sunrise, it is obligatory upon her to perform the Fajr prayer.*

Explaining the reasoning behind this view, Imam Ibn Qudamah states in Al-Moghni  that “the time of the second prayer (i.e. Asr and `Isha’) is considered an extension for the first prayer (i.e. Zuhr and Maghrib) for those who have an excuse.”

Let’s clarify that further: a lady whose menses stopped during `Asr prayer time had not prayed Zuhr because she had an excuse (the menses) during the Zuhr time. But since she became pure during `Asr time, she is still in the extension or grace period for Zuhr prayer and, therefore, she has to pray it along with `Asr.

* Source: Islamic Fatawa Regarding Women, Compiled by Muhammad Ibn Abdul-Aziz Al-Musnad and translated by Jamal Al-Din Zarabozo, Darussalam, 1996.

About Sheikh `Abul-`Aziz ibn Baz