Menses Exceeds Regular Period: What Should I Do?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Menses Exceeds Regular Period: What Should I Do?

Hala

Jul 17, 2017

Question

As-salaamu `alaykum. I am having some problems with my menstruation since my second child was born. She is now 2 years old. The problem is that: My period starts regularly every month. But after starting the first 2/3 days there is spotting…not active bleeding. Then it starts to bleed and lasts for 4/5 days. Then the last 2/3 days there is so light spotting, that I am so confused should I pray or not. This is my regular routine.I feel guilty that I am not praying and fasting (in Ramadan) for the first and last 2/3 days for no reason. These things are bothering me for last 2 years. I have checked with my doctor, and she said that everything is ok. I think you can help me insha’ Allah. Another question: do we have permission to go to masjid while we are menstruating? Especially in our mosque there is a tafsir halaqa every week. I really don't want to miss those halaqas and jumu`ah khutbha, as I have so long menstrual period. Thanks for your answer in advance. Jazak Allahum khair.

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

In your case, you need to consider the pattern you have had prior to this incident as belonging to menses; after which you are to perform ghusl (bathing) and start praying and fasting.

Responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

A woman who has normal menstrual cycles, and experiences abnormal bleeding in some months, should go for a specialized doctor for medical check-up and counseling. This will help her to know the type of bleeding she experiences in order to act accordingly.

If I can understand your question: prior to your second child was born, you have had a regular pattern of menses; then following the delivery, you started experiencing chronic bleeding– exceeding your pattern of menses.

If this is correct, then you need to consider the pattern you have had prior to this incident as belonging to menses; after which you are to perform ghusl (bathing) and start praying and fasting.

In the case of prayer, however, you need to wash your private parts and make wudu (ablution) for each salah; you also need to fast. If you did leave out prayers or fasts thinking that the chronic bleeding was due to menses, you need to make up for them.

To state differently, if your regular pattern had been 7 days of menses, then you need to consider the same number of days as your days of menses; after which time, you need to perform ghusl and start praying as described above. For the bleeding exceeding your pattern of menses is not considered as due to menses; it is considered as istihadah. The rules of istihadah are not the same as those of menses.

Regarding your second question, you are allowed to visit the mosque while menstruating– as long as you do not defile the mosque, and as long as you do not join the lines of the worshippers. This is the preferred ruling of Imam Ibn Taymiyyah and others. You are allowed to follow this ruling–since you are going there to acquire beneficial knowledge.