Does Leakage of Blood and Water from Wounds Affect Purification?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Does Leakage of Blood and Water from Wounds Affect Purification?

Ghada

Jan 13, 2019

Question

I suffer from acne, which appears on the face and shoulders. Sometimes the pimples become infected and swell, then they pop and blood comes out of them, and sometimes a yellow liquid (pus) that results from the infection. Sometimes this blood gets onto my clothes; do I have to change my clothes and wash them if I want to pray?

Answer

1- The blood that comes out from anywhere other than the front and back passage does not invalidate wudu.

2- If what gets onto your garment of blood or pus is a small amount, there is nothing wrong with you praying in that garment. If it is a large amount, then you have to wash it or change your garment.

Answering your question, the Fatwa Center at Islam Q & A, states: 

With regard to the blood that comes out from anywhere other than the front and back passage, there is a difference of opinion among the jurists as to whether it invalidates wudu or not.

The most correct view is that it does not invalidate wudu; this is the view of Imam Malik and Imam Ash-Shafi`i (may Allah have mercy on them)  and it is the view favored by Ibn Taymiyyah.

With regard to what gets onto your garment of blood or pus, if it is a small amount, there is nothing wrong with you praying in that garment. If it is a large amount, then you have to wash it or change your garment according to the majority of jurists.

Some scholars are of the view that the blood that comes out of a person’s body from anywhere other than the front and back passages is pure.

Sheikh Ibn `Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“The view of those who say that human blood is pure is a very strong view, because the texts and analogy indicate that.” (Ash-Sharh al-Mumti`, 1/443)

Source: www.islamqa.info

About Fatwa Center at Islam Q & A