How Should I Complete the Missed Rak`ah in Maghrib Prayer?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > How Should I Complete the Missed Rakah in Maghrib Prayer?

How Should I Complete the Missed Rakah in Maghrib Prayer?

Kamil

Jan 17, 2019

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. How do I complete my Maghrib prayer if I missed first rakah after an imam? Do I to recite any Surah after Al-Fatiah or only al-Fatiah?

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

You need to make one rakah, which is the third for you. In the third rakah, you need to recite Al-Fatihah only

Answering your question, Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD, Islamic Studies in English, Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Sciences al-Madinah International University (Mediu), states:

According to the most preponderant juristic opinion, for a Muslim who joins the imam in Prayer after missing some rakahs (prayer units), the number of rakahs begins with the first rakah he catches with the imam.

So, when the imam finishes the congregational Prayer, those who missed some rakahs stand up to complete what they missed.

Hence, for the case in question, you need to make one rakah, which is the third for you. In the third rakah, you need to recite Al-Fatihah only.

About Dr. Muhammad Salama

Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD, Islamic Studies in English, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Sciences al-Madinah International University (Mediu)