Can My Wife Combine Maghrib and `Isha’ for a Hardship?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Prayer > Can My Wife Combine Maghrib and Isha for a Hardship?

Can My Wife Combine Maghrib and Isha for a Hardship?

Wesam

Jan 26, 2019

Question

As-salmau `alaykum. We live in Canada. During spring and summer, Isha prayer can be as late as 10:40 pm or so. My wife is pregnant and she cannot wait till Isha prayer. So, can she pray it few minutes after Maghrib then go to bed? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

1- Prayers have due times at which a Muslim should perform them.

2- Your wife may combine Maghrib with Isha in the time of the Maghrib. She should pray Maghrib, 3 rakahs, first, and then pray Isha, four rakaah.

Answering your question, Dr. Wael Shehab, PhD, in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University and currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada, states:

Every Muslim must do his best to offer each prayer at its fixed time. Allah Almighty says in the Qur’an: {For such prayers are enjoined on believers at stated times.} (An-Nisaa’ 4:103)

A good number of Muslim scholars hold the opinion that a Muslim is allowed to combine prayers (Zhuhr with Asr in the time of either of them, and Maghrib and Isha in the time of either of them) for traveling, illness, and considerable needs and reasons.

However, a Muslim who combines Prayers should not make this as a custom or a habit by regularly combining Prayers.

In the case you mentioned, your wife may combine Maghrib with Isha in the time of the Maghrib. She should pray Maghrib, 3 rakahs, first, and then pray Isha, four rakaah.

However, she should not insist on this and should try to pray each prayer on its due time on some days.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Dr. Wael Shehab

Dr. Wael Shehab has a PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University. He is currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada.