Is It Sinful for Me to Attend Non-Muslim Business Meetings?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Muslim and Non-Muslim Relations > Is It Sinful for Me to Attend Non-Muslim Business Meetings?

Tracy

Apr 08, 2019

Question

I live in a non-Muslim majority country and I work for a good company. Sometimes, I have to attend business meetings where the attendees (non-Muslims) invoke their gods. Can I attend such meetings?

Answer

Is It Permissible to Attend Business Meetings Where Non-Muslims Invoke Their Gods?

If attending such business meetings would cause some distance between you and them, you may attend but without participating in their rituals.

Answering your question, Dr. Ali Suleiman Ali, PhD in Islamic Studies and a co-founder, Core Scholar, and member of the Board of Trustees of the American Learning Institute for Muslims (ALIM), states:

If not attending such business meetings where non-Muslim workers invoke their gods would not cause uncomfortable relationship with your colleagues, then you should not attend.

However, if attending such meetings would cause some distance between you and them, you may attend but without participating in their rituals.

A Muslim should maintain his/her Islamic identity wherever he/she is.

About Dr. Ali Suleiman Ali

Dr. Ali Suleiman Ali holds a PhD in Islamic Studies. He is the Imam and Director of the Muslim Community of Western Suburbs, Canton, Michigan. He is also a co-founder, Core Scholar, and member of the Board of Trustees of the American Learning Institute for Muslims (ALIM).