How Should I Control My Sexual Desire?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Morals & Manners > How Should I Control My Sexual Desire?

How Should I Control My Sexual Desire?

Sam

Sep 02, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I need help on how to control my sexual desire.

Answer

How Should I Control My Sexual Desire

Wa`alaykum As-Salamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

1- Muslims are required to follow the Prophet’s guidance in aspects of life so as to achieve success in this world and the world to come.

2- In the Sunnah, we read many hadiths that guide the Muslim youth how to maintain self-control.

Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr, former head of Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee, says,

There are some ways through which one can control his sexual desire:

1- Getting married as soon as possible, even with little furniture and humble accommodation.

2- Observing moderation in eating and drinking in order to avoid stimulating one’s desire.

3- Observing fasting, because it bolsters one’s faith, preserves chastity, and protects one from evil thoughts. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said: “O youth, whoever of you is able to marry, let him marry, for it spares one looking at what one should not, or lapsing in adultery. And if he cannot marry, let him observe fasting, for it is a shield against evil.”(Muslim)

4- Keeping away from anything that is sexually stimulating, such as pornographic pictures, erotic films and love songs.

5- Choosing good and righteous friends.

6- Keeping oneself busy in worship and spiritual acts.

7- Interacting with activities of the society in such a way that it keeps a person away from thinking about sex.

8- Avoiding gatherings and places that bring men and women physically close to each other.

9- Trying to admire natural things such as flowers and beautiful scenery, which do not stimulate one sexually, instead of admiring girls and women.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Sheikh `Atiyyah Saqr