Feelings of Love Towards the Opposite Sex: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Morals & Manners > Feelings of Love Towards Opposite Sex: OK?

Feelings of Love Towards Opposite Sex: OK?

Emma

Dec 04, 2018

Question

In Islam, I know that loving God and His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) is an obligation, but what is the ruling for having feelings towards someone else of the opposite sex? And what are the limits in this case?

Answer

Feelings of Love Towards the Opposite Sex

A Muslim is not to be blamed for having chaste involuntary love and mere good feelings he/she has towards another person of the opposite sex.

Answering your question, Dar Al-Ifta Al-Misriyyah, states:

A Muslim is not to be blamed for developing  chaste involuntary love and the mere good feelings towards another person of the opposite sex.

Love is one of the most sublime feelings that all beings share. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to describe his love to his beloved wife lady Khadijah (may Allah be pleased with her) as “I was nourished by her love”.

However, it is forbidden for a Muslim before marriage to follow it up with prohibited actions either by words or deeds.

The unlawful relationship that one inflames through immoral words or actions is deemed unlawful in Islamic law, and it is impermissible for a man and a woman to have a relationship outside marriage.

The love of God the Almighty and His Messenger is incomparable to any other love because they occupy different status.

Source: www.dar-alifta.org

About Dar Al-Ifta Al-Misriyyah

Dar al-Ifta al Misriyyah is considered among the pioneering foundations for fatwa [En. Religious verdicts] in the Islamic world.