Wearing Shoes Made from Pigskin: Allowed?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Misconception > Wearing Shoes Made from Pigskin: Allowed?

Anonymous

Jun 21, 2018

Question

I recently found out that pigskin might be used in making handbags and shoes. Is wearing processed pigskin in shoes or handbags haram? Do I need to check every item to make sure?

Answer

Wearing Shoes Made from Pigskin

Pigs’ and dogs’ meat is not permissible to eat. As for using their skin, it is a controversial issue; while some scholars prohibit it, others permit it.

Answering your question, Sheikh Kifah Mustapha, the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US, states:

Scholars have different views on this matter; most consider it haram for pigs and dogs skin except for the School of Malikiyyah as they conditioned it by being pure as long as it is dry.

In reality, the Hadith is very strong and clear that any skin dyed becomes pure. And for that I do not see an issue at all by wearing jackets or shoes made from such skins if dyed.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Any skin that is dyed is pure.” (At-Tirmidhi)

About Sheikh Kifah Mustapha

Sheikh Kifah Mustapha is the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US