Are Tattoos Permissible for Treatment?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Health & Science > Are Tattoos Permissible for Treatment?

Are Tattoos Permissible for Treatment?

Anonymous

Jan 12, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Can you, please, advise me regarding this sensitive matter? I would like to proceed with a hair loss treatment but I first need know whether it's halal. There is this hair loss treatment (called scalp micro pigmentation) where they basically tattoo the scalp to create an appearance of naturally growing hair. I know that tattoos are haram, but this is for treatment, does it change anything? Thank you.

Answer

Are Tattoos Permissible for Treatment

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Dear brother, we are appreciating your commitment to your religion and its rules, which is the duty of each Muslim.

In fact, you may go to hair transplant operation. Tattoos are not allowed; you should avoid it.

Responding to your question, Sheikh Kifah Mustapha, the Imam and Associate Director at the Mosque Foundation, one of the largest Islamic Centers in Chicago, states:

Growing hair is not an extreme necessity in Islam and for that nothing of haram can be bend to accommodate it. Islam, through the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), prohibited tattoos; he said: “Allah Almighty cursed those who make tattoos and those who ask for it.” (Al-Bukhari)

And because of that clear text, I see no space to use tattoos for such reason but going to medical treatment for hair implants is permissible.

About Sheikh Kifah Mustapha