Removing the Uterus for Medical Reasons: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Women Issues > Removing the Uterus for Medical Reasons: OK?

Hend

Question

My mother has been having an 8cm fibroid in her uterus. The doctor told us to remove the uterus; if we are not hoping for more children, we should rather just take the uterus off. It is true that my mother is not hoping for more children being concerned for her health; she has an umbilical hernia which gets bigger in each pregnancy. Also she has thyroid problems, so the prospect of having children would come with health risks. Hence, the question is: is it wrong that my mom is controlling birth? Also, about the fibroid; if we take off the fibroid alone, then there are chances of the fibroid returning. She already had major surgeries in the past, so she is hoping that if we take the uterus off then we don’t have to worry about the fibroid returning. Based on this, is it wrong to take the uterus off?

Answer

Removing the Uterus for Medical Reasons

There is no objection to remove the uterus if it is medically warranted.

Responding to your question, Dr. Hatem Al-Hajj, Dean of Shari`ah Academy of America, states:

There is no harm in removing the uterus in your mother’s case, if it is medically warranted. Though, I would get a second opinion to confirm that this will not be a case of permanent sterilization, which is categorically forbidden, since the motive here and the justification is completely different.

Birth control for health concerns is also a legitimate practice, as long as the method used doesn’t cause more harm than the potential harm of pregnancy.

About Dr. Hatem Al-Haj

Dean of the Shari`ah Academy of America