Pregnancy While Breastfeeding a 7-Month Old Baby: Can I Undergo Abortion?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Health & Science > Pregnancy While Breastfeeding a 7-Month Old Baby: Can I Undergo Abortion?

Anonymous

Nov 22, 2017

Question

My second baby is 7 months old, again born after a major surgery. Is it permitted to go for abortion as my wife is again pregnant since 40 days while lactating her 7 months baby?

Answer

Pregnancy While Breastfeeding a 7-Month Old Baby Can I Undergo Abortion

1- Abortion is not allowed except for valid medical reasons. In the early days of pregnancy committing it is less grave than committing it after 120 days of conception.

2- In your case, you need to consult reliable physicians and act according to their medical advice.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

If your doctor recommends that pregnancy for your wife in her specific condition will have adverse effects on her health, then she may undergo abortion at this early phase.

Abortion after 120 days is akin to taking a life, for that is the time when the soul is breathed into the fetus; abortion before that is considered sinful unless there are reasons warranting it; the health challenges of the mother can be one of those conditions.