Hair Transplant: Permissible?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Health & Science > Hair Transplant: Permissible?

Hair Transplant: Permissible?

Walid

Oct 31, 2016

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I am a 26-year-old unmarried male. I suffer from hair loss and it is causing me psychological strain so that I won't even go to the front rows in the mosque as I think others are laughing at my bald patch. I have heard of hair replacement, in which a thin transparent porous skin-like material is bonded to your scalp through your own hair. Extra hair, real or artificial, can be added to your existing hair. Can you advise if this is permissible, considering the psychological effects hair loss is having on me?

Answer

Hair Transplant

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

Hair transplantation by means of natural hair is considered permissible, while doing so with artificial hair is considered impermissible. However, this should be restricted to cases of necessity when a person suffers real psychological or social pains.

Answering the question in point, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Hair transplant by means of natural hair is considered permissible, while doing so with artificial hair is considered impermissible.

Islam prohibits us from unnecessarily interfering or tampering with our bodies. This falls under the forbidden category of mutilation or distortion of Allah’s creation, which has been spoken of as a project Satan is committed to engaging humankind in.

Examples of such tampering and interference are face lift, changing the color of our skin through surgery, likewise, and adding a cluster of false hair to one’s hair. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) “Allah curses women who patch up (their natural) hair with another patch of hair or women who receive such work!” (Muslim)

Having said this, however, it is important to state that Islam is not at all opposed to resorting to treatments or medications in order to enhance Allah’s creation without in any way altering or mutilating it. Hair transplantation of natural hair in such a way that it becomes part of one’s natural hair and grows on one’s scalp and is sustained by it is permissible, for it is not at all different from transplanting a kidney or eyes or a heart. Just as these transplants are considered permissible, to transplant natural hair that would grow and take roots on one’s head is also considered permissible.

Transplanting artificial hair, however, is different. Since it does not become part of one’s natural hair, it is not considered permissible.

It is also permissible to resort to treatments or medications that help natural growth of hair just as we are allowed to take medications in order to enhance our eye sight or physical stamina, etc.

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca.