Should I Accompany My Wife on Hajj?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Should I Accompany My Wife on Hajj?

Should I Accompany My Wife on Hajj?

Muhannad

Jul 14, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Is it obligatory for a husband to accompany his wife on her Hajj, or is Hajj obligatory according to each person's own responsibility? I am not only speaking about the economic factor but also the necessity of accompanying my wife.

Answer

Should I Accompany My Wife on Hajj?

Wa `alaykum as-salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

1- A husband should exert every effort to help his wife carry out her religious duties.

2- Therefore, he should not hesitate to accompany her on Hajj if he is able to.

3- If he is unable to go with his wife, then she should understand the situation and look for an alternative.

Responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada , states:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told a person to accompany his wife on Hajj even at the expense of doing voluntary jihad. Therefore, it is your spousal obligation to accompany her on Hajj if you can.

However, if your circumstances do not allow you to accompany your wife, you are excused, and she should find another alternative such as traveling with a blood relation or a group of trustworthy women.