Sending Parents to Hajj while in Debts: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Sending Parents to Hajj while in Debts: OK?

Basim

Aug 05, 2018

Question

I am planning to send my parents to the Hajj. In this regard, I start saving money. But I have a student loan, mortgage and vehicle loan. So my question is: am I eligible to send my parents for the Hajj?

Answer

Sending Parents to Hajj while in Debts

1- A Muslim should give his greatest care to debts. That is based on some juristic rules; for example, a Muslim is not required to perform Hajj while he is loaded with debts. So, you are required, first of all, to give priority to paying off your debts.

2- Moreover, your parents are not required to perform Hajj as long as they do not have the financial ability to afford for it.

Responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Your priority is to pay off your debts; you cannot send your parents to Hajj by borrowed money. Your student loan accumulates interest, and you need to get rid of it first.

Your parents are not required to perform Hajj in this case if they cannot afford to go by income that is pure and free from debts.

So, once you have paid these outstanding dues, then you may think of sending your parents for Hajj.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.