Performing Sa`i Before Tawaf: Valid?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Performing Sa`i Before Tawaf: Valid?

Performing Sa`i Before Tawaf: Valid?

Maryam

Aug 18, 2018

Question

Dear scholars, as-salamu `alaykum. Is it permissible for a pilgrim to perform Sa`i before Tawaf? Jazakum Allah khayran!

Answer

Performing Sa`i Before Tawaf: Valid?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

There is nothing wrong if a person performs Sa`i (walking seven times back and forth between the rocky hillocks of Safa and Marwah) before tawaf (the seven-circuit circumambulation of the Kabah while reciting prayers) due to ignorance.

In this regard, Sheikh `Abdul-`Aziz ibn Baz, the late Mufti of Saudi Arabia, stated: 

The Sunnah is to perform tawaf first, then to perform sa`i. There is nothing wrong if a person performs sa`i before tawaf due to ignorance. It is reported that a man asked the Prophet and said: “I performed sa`i before tawaf. So what should I do?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Do it and there is no harm.” This indicates that if a person performs sa`i before tawaf, his Hajj is still valid.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Sheikh `Abul-`Aziz ibn Baz