How to Perform Hajj Tamattu`
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > How to Perform Hajj Tamattu`

How to Perform Hajj Tamattu`

Jameel

Aug 07, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I have intended to go for Hajj this year, inshaa' Allah. My mother, who is weak and ill, will be accompanying me and she may not be able to perform every act during Hajj. We are going to perform `Umrah first and then Hajj (Hajj Tamattu`). Could you, please, explain the most necessary (mandatory acts) of each, `Umrah and Hajj, so she could perform only those to fulfill all the obligations? Thanks.

Answer

How to Perform Hajj Tamattu`

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Responding to your question, Sheikh Kifah Mustapha, the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US, states:

For those performing Hajj Tamattu` the following rituals are the basics:

For `Umrah: assuming for Tamattu’ you will be arriving to Makkah before the eighth of Dhul-Hijjah, hence you have to:

1- Enter the status of Ihramfor `Umrah from the Miqat.

2- Do tawafaround the Ka`bah seven times.

3- Do sa`ibetween Safa and Marwah seven times.

4- Cut hair.

You will finish the state of Ihram for `Umrah, wait for the eighth of Dhul-Hijjah and from your place in Makkah you should do the following:

1- 8 Dhul-Hijjah: Enter the state of Ihramagain for Hajj.

2- 8 Dhul-Hijjah: Head toward Mina to sleep.

3- 9 Dhul-Hijjah: Depart from Mina toward `Arafah.

4- 9 Dhul-Hijjah: Stay in `Arafah till after Maghrib.

5- 9 Dhul-Hijjah: Depart after Maghrib toward Muzdalifah.

6- 9/10 Dhul-Hijjah: Pray Maghrib and `Isha’ combining Salat and shortening it in Muzdalifah. Pick up pebbles and sleep in Muzdalifah. “Elderly can leave after midnight”.

7- 10 Dhul-Hijjah: Depart from Muzdalifah back to Mina and:

a- Throw 7 pebbles at Jamra Kubra.

b- Cut hair.

c- Slaughter Hadi(Qurbani). (Usually done by paying money to someone else to do it.)

d- Back to Makkah perform tawafand sa`i (ifadah).

8- 10 Dhul-Hijjah: Back to tents to sleep in Mina.

9- 11 Dhul-Hijjah: Throw pebbles 21 at Jamarat (7 at each). Also sleep in Mina.

10- 12 Dhul-Hijjah: Throw pebbles 21 at Jamarat (7 at each). Also sleep in Mina.

11- 13 Dhul-Hijjah: Choice of ending Hajj (ta`ajjul) or stay one more night with another 21 pebbles and sleeping in Mina.

12- Back to Makkah performing Tawaf Al-Wada`(farewell tawaf).

About Sheikh Kifah Mustapha

Sheikh Kifah Mustapha is the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US