Doing More Than One `Umrah Before Hajj: OK?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Doing More Than One Umrah Before Hajj: OK?

Doing More Than One Umrah Before Hajj: OK?

Haidi

Jul 20, 2018

Question

As-salam `alaykum. I intend to perform Hajj this year on my deceased sister's behalf insha' Allah, as I performed Hajj for myself before. I intend to do Tamattu` and perform `Umrah first, break Ihram then Hajj. Can I perform extra `Umrah on my deceased cousin's behalf between the first `Umrah and Hajj, or shall I wait till after Hajj?

Answer

Doing More Than One `Umrah Before Hajj

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

You can do as many Umrahs as you want; once you have released from ihram of the first Umrah, you can do another Umrah either for yourself or any other person.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Once you have completed the Umrah of Tamattu’ and released yourself of ihram, you may do extra Umrahs on behalf of anyone else. There is no need for you to wait for the Hajj to be completed for doing extra Umrahs.