Leaving Makkah Before Farewell Tawaf: Any Penalty?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Leaving Makkah Before Farewell Tawaf: Any Penalty?

Salleh Bin Ngah

Sep 04, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Few years ago, I went for `Umrah. While in Makkah, we went to visit a friend in Jeddah (after we completed our `Umrah), but without performing farewell tawaf (tawaf wada`). We went back to Makkah without performing tawaf. After we were about to leave for Madinah, we did the farewell tawaf. Do I have to pay any penalty?

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

You are not required to pay any ransom as the farewell tawaf is only recommendable in Hajj and `Umrah.

Responding to your question, Dr. `Abdul-Fattah Edris, Professor of Usul Al-Fiqh, at Al-Azhar University, states:

There is nothing wrong in the case of the questioner, as the arrival tawaf (tawaf al-qudum) as well as the farewell tawaf (tawaf al-wada`) are considered Sunnah (recommendable); they represent a greeting to the Ka`bah.

Therefore, if a Muslim forgets or leaves out one of them either in Hajj or `Umrah, he or she does not have to pay any ransom (fidyah), as leaving a sunnah does not necessitate any ransom.

About Dr. `Abdul-Fattah Idrees

Professor of Comparative Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) at Al-Azhar University