Hajj With Ill-Gotten Money: Permissible?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Hajj With Ill-Gotten Money: Permissible?

Khalid

Aug 11, 2017

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. My wife was working as a sales clerk in a store selling women’s clothes that are haram according to the Shari`ah. Praise be to Allah, she has now left this job. Naturally she was given a lump sum commensurate with the time she was working at that job. We had agreed – with the consent and approval of my wife – that we would use this money to cover the Hajj expenses for my father and mother. Although my father has done Hajj before, my mother has not, but they are old now. Is that permissible, or is it better for my wife and I to do Hajj? Please note that my wife and I want to do Hajj next year in sha' Allah, and that we do not have any savings apart from this money. Is it permissible for us to use this money for Hajj in either case?

Answer

Hajj With Ill-Gotten Money

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

For the person who wants to do Hajj, the money for his expenses must be halal and from a good source, because halal money helps you to obey and worship Allah, and keeps you from committing sin.

In response to your question, we would like to cite the following fatwa published on www.islamqa.info:

Firstly

There is the fear that if a person does Hajj with ill-gotten (haram) money, Allah may not accept his Hajj, because the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Allah is good and only accepts that which is good.” (Muslim)

Ibn `Abdus (may Allah have mercy on him) said: “Note that the pillar and foundation of religion is food that is earned by halal means. If a person has a good source of earning, his actions will be pure. Whoever does not have a good source of earning, there is the fear that his prayer, fasting, Hajj, jihad and all other deeds will not be accepted, because Allah says:

“Verily, Allah accepts only from those who are pious” (Al-Ma’idah 5:27)

`Umar looked at the people who were praying and said, “I am not deceived by any one of you raising and lowering his head. Religious commitment means being cautious with regard to the limits of Allah, refraining from that which Allah has forbidden, and acting in accordance with that which Allah has permitted and forbidden.”

Ibn `Umar said: The best of the pilgrims are those with the purest intentions and the purest earnings, and the strongest faith.”  (Al-Madkhal by Ibn al-Hajib al-Maliki, 4/210)

It was narrated that one of the imams said:

If you do Hajj with money whose source is haram, you have not done Hajj, but your camel has done Hajj.

Allah does not accept anything but that which is good, and not everyone who does Hajj will have his Hajj accepted.

In Mawahib al-Jaleel Sharh Mukhtasar Khaleel (2/530) we read:

Whoever does Hajj with haram money, his Hajj is not acceptable, as was clearly stated by more than one of the scholars. That is because he has not met the conditions of it being accepted.

A number of the scholars indicated that Hajj in this case is not acceptable, such as al-Ghazali, al-Qarafi, al-Qurtubi and al-Nawawi. Al-Ghazali narrated this from Ibn `Abbas and that is a sufficient proof.

Secondly:

It is not permissible to make use of haram money. Repentance from that money means getting rid of it and spending it on charitable purposes.

If you spend this money on your father and mother, that means that you are benefitting from it, because you are using this instead of spending on them as you are obliged to do, and this is not permissible.

Thirdly:

If you do not have halal money with which you and your wife can go for Hajj, then wait until you have earned halal money with which you can do Hajj, because Allah says:

“And Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah) to the House (Ka`bah) is a duty that mankind owes to Allah, those who can afford the expenses (for one’s conveyance, provision and residence)” (Aal `Imran 3:98)

If Allah blesses you with a good and halal income, then you must hasten to do Hajj.

About Ask the Scholar Editor