Fast Day of `Arafah Based on Makkah or My Country?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Fast Day of Arafah Based on Makkah or My Country?

Fast Day of Arafah Based on Makkah or My Country?

Junaid

Aug 19, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. People who are not performing Hajj are supposed to fast on the "Day of `Arafah". However, people in some countries fast on the 9th of Dhul-Hijjah which is not the same day in Saudi Arabia. Please, explain when one should fast, the day of `Arafah according to Saudi Arabia or to his own country? Jazaka Allah Khayr.

Answer

Fast Day of `Arafah Based on Makkah or My Country

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Thanks to the modern technology, people all over the world can easily know the Day of Arafah (the day on which pilgrims stay on Mount Arafah). So, Muslims who are not performing Hajj should fast that very day.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

It is highly recommended for those outside the Hajj to fast the Day of Arafah. The day of Arafah proper is the day when the pilgrims perform the rite of wuquf (staying) in the plains of Arafat Mountain. In the past, people did not have the comfort of knowing the day of Arafah in advance.

Nowadays, however, they know it and even watch it as it unfolds from their own living rooms on Televisions or the Internet. So, it is only common sense that we fast the same day as the day of wuquf (i.e. when they perform the ritual of standing on Arafat).

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.