Climbing Mount Arafah: A Requirement of Hajj?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Hajj > Climbing Mount Arafah: A Requirement of Hajj?

Mahmoud

Aug 20, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. What if I get very sick on the day of `Arafah and can't climb the hill? Is my Hajj valid?

Answer

Climbing Mount Arafah

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

As far your the question, we can say that it is not a requirement to climb Mount Arafah. Standing at any place of Arafah is sufficient and you are not required to climb the Mountain of Ar-Rahmah (Mercy).

In his well-known book, Fiqh As-Sunnah, the late Azharite scholar Sheikh Sayyed Sabiq states the following:

A pilgrim may spend the Day of Arafah anywhere within the bounds of Arafah, for all of it is equally good for encamping (on this particular day) except the bottom of the valley called Urnah to the west of Arafah.

There is a consensus that spending the Day of Arafah at Urnah is not sufficient to fulfill the condition of staying at `Arafah. Spending time near the rocks or as close to them as possible is commended.

The Prophet (peace  be upon him) stopped at this place and said, “I have stopped here, but the whole of `Arafah is a stopping place (for the Day of `Arafah).”(Ahmad, Muslim, and Abu Dawud from Jabir)

Climbing the Mountain of Ar-Rahmah or the belief that standing on it is better than standing in any other place is wrong, nor does doing so represent a Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Sheikh Sayyed Sabiq