Is Playing Poker Online Allowed?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Is Playing Poker Online Allowed?

Is Playing Poker Online Allowed?

Hussein

Sep 22, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. My friends always send me a request to play the game Texas Poker on Facebook. I know that playing poker is haram. But what is the Islamic ruling on playing online poker or poker game?

Answer

Poker

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

As for your query, you should know that any game containing paying money under winning or losing is impermissible (haram).

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

Any game that involves payment of money on the basis of chance is not permissible in the Shari`ah. Poker, like any others, may or may not involve losing/gaining money. If it does not involve that and used just for entertainment at times that do not take over any prayer, work, study or doing any useful service, is not then forbidden (haram).

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies