Is It OK to Work for a Bank?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Is It OK to Work for a Bank?

Is It OK to Work for a Bank?

Anonymous

Feb 26, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I am currently a branch manager in a major bank in Canada. Please, guide me if that my income is halal or haram. Thanks.

Answer

Is It OK to Work for a Bank?

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Dear brother, it is indeed very appreciated from you to ask this question, as it is each Muslim’s duty to fully observe his/her income making sure that it is all gained from lawful (halal) sources.

Working for a bank is permissible if one doesn’t take part in interest-based dealings.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

Working in a bank is permissible (this does not mean it is one of the best jobs a Muslim may have).

However, signing any interest-based transaction or writing it or reviewing its correctness for the purpose of signing it or approving it and the like are all haram and a Muslim should avoid doing it.

It is under the curse of Allah and His Messenger as stated in a very authentic hadith. Whenever what you do is haram, its income is not permissible too.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Dr. Monzer Kahf is a professor and consultant/trainer on Islamic banking, finance, Zakah, Awqaf, Islamic Inheritance, Islamic estate planning, Islamic family law, and other aspects of Islamic economics, finance, Islamic transactions (Mu'amalat). Dr. Monzer Kahf is currently Professor of Islamic Finance & Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Management, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University, Turkey