Is Mortgage Halal for Muslims?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Is Mortgage Halal for Muslims?

Is Mortgage Halal for Muslims?

Subhi

Oct 07, 2018

Question

I have a question about mortgage. Is it permissible to buy one house for ourselves on mortgage? I have heard that but I’m not sure that there is a Fatwa for this issue. Please, advise.

Answer

Is Mortgage Halal for Muslims?

You should first resort to Islamic finance. If you don’t find it, you may go to mortgage with the below restrictions.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

The Fatwa on conventional mortgage if Islamic finance is not available is correct and adopted by the second international conference on Fiqh held in Detroit in the fall of 1999.

However, it has the following conditions:

1- It is for families who require housing for themselves for reasons of security, education, neighborhood, etc.

2- There must be no Islamic finance available for them.

3- It is for residence not for investment.

I suggest that you should check first for Islamic finance, there are several companies which offer it in Canada and US.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies