Should I Leave a Family that Sells Cigarettes?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Morals & Manners > Should I Leave a Family that Sells Cigarettes?

Esam

Jul 27, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I am living with a family that sells cigarettes and they use this money to feed us; is it allowed to eat and live on that money? What if the family ONLY sell cigarette; and what if I am dependent on my parents and what if I am able to work and make money?

Answer

Cigarettes

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

It is permissible to eat from the food bought from income of selling cigarettes

Answering your question, Sheikh Kifah Mustapha, the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US states:

Yes, it is permissible to eat from the food bought from income of selling cigarettes. Selling cigarettes is makruh (disliked) to many scholars not haram.

I assume you are still young and dependent on your parents in your life. When you grow older and have your own income, make sure to bring income from matters not haram or makruh.

About Sheikh Kifah Mustapha

Sheikh Kifah Mustapha is the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US