Investment Using Illegal Money: Permissible?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Investment Using Illegal Money: Permissible?

Khan

Oct 14, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I am a public servant working in a governmental organization. In my office, our directors used to collect kickbacks and gifts from contractors and when they are sharing the money, they give some amount to us. Is it allowed in Islam for us to collect such money and if it is haram, what about collecting the haram money and investing it and then when it matures, I return the capital and keep the profit.

Answer

Investment Using Illegal Money

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

All what you have mentioned is unlawful (haram) as bribe and everything related to it is forbidden (haram).

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

It is, of course, forbidden (haram) to collect this bribe; it is haram to take it and to be silent about those who collect it. They must be reported to authorities in charge and be punished by law and by the Shari`ah.

Any funds generated by such bribes are also haram. Their receipt is not permissible, their investment is haram and any money generated by them is also haram. The Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) told us that any flesh raised on haram deserves to be in the Hellfire.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Dr. Monzer Kahf is a professor and consultant/trainer on Islamic banking, finance, Zakah, Awqaf, Islamic Inheritance, Islamic estate planning, Islamic family law, and other aspects of Islamic economics, finance, Islamic transactions (Mu'amalat). Dr. Monzer Kahf is currently Professor of Islamic Finance & Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Management, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University, Turkey