Investing With Borrowed Money: Allowed?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Investing With Borrowed Money: Allowed?

Investing With Borrowed Money: Allowed?

Akram

Nov 07, 2017

Question

As-salamu `alaikum, respected scholars. I want to know whether it is permissible to borrow money for investments. Does Allah forbid us from buying goods or making investments (even if they are halal) using borrowed money, or does He stop us only from borrowing haram funds? Please, clarify the principle involved here, since I am unclear whether to borrow or not, for halal investments from halal sources. Many thanks.

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

In this Fatwa:

Financing investment from a loan without interest is permissible.

Answering your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, a prominent Muslim economist and counselor, stated,

Riba (usury) is any increment in a loan or a debt as mentioned in Verse 2:279 that is anything above the principal of the loan or debt. There is no difference between loans for consumptions and loans for investment or to buy goods for trade. A loan without interest is, of course, permissible all the time but a loan with interest is not.

Financing investment from a loan without interest is also permissible. In other words, the prohibition is of the interest not of the loan and purpose of using the money is irrelevant.

Allah almighty knows best.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies