Giving Interest Money to the Needy: Acceptable?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Giving Interest Money to the Needy: Acceptable?

Junaid

Sep 25, 2018

Question

Actually, I have a saving account and the bank transfers interest money into my account after a certain period. So, my question is: can I give that interest money to some needy persons? Because I don't want to keep that money with me, or do I have to open some other sort of accounts in a bank? Kindly guide me in this regard. Regards.

Answer

Giving Interest Money to the Needy

Interest is not allowed in Islam. Hence, you can give it to the needy, the poor, or any Islamic charity.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

The principle is: you should not use interest generating account unless the amount is relatively large and there are no Islamic banks nearby.

Earned interest, according to the Shari`ah, is not yours and you should take it from the bank (the interest practitioner) and give it, as soon as it is credited, to a poor Muslim family or to a trusted Islamic charity.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies