What to Do with Extra Insurance Money?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > What to Do with Extra Insurance Money?

What to Do with Extra Insurance Money?

Nadeen

Nov 14, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I have an insurance policy for my medical costs. This time when I made a claim, the insurance company sent me a cheque more than the actual amount. I only want to take the amount which I paid to the hospital and the balance I want to give to someone or some charity project as I do not want to consume the extra money. Is this correct?

Answer

What to Do with Extra Insurance Money?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

A Muslim in such situations should refer back to the insurance company to be sure if what he was given was calculated correctly or not. If it is a mistake, you must return the extra amount to the insurance company.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

It looks strange to me because usually insurance companies pay much less than is due!

I suggest that first you check with the insurance company to ascertain whether what was given to you was calculated correctly according to the rules of the insurance contract (I mean, not by a material mistake).

If it is a mistake, you must return the extra amount to the insurance company. Otherwise, it is OK to give it to Muslim charity.

I would also dare to say that if it is exactly in accordance with the contract, you may take it for yourself. Could it be that in the contract the employer intended to include some compensation for incidental expenses related to the coverage?

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies