Working Without Official Permit: Legal?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Can I Work Without Official Permit?

Can I Work Without Official Permit?

Wahiduddin

Jan 19, 2019

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I came to know that one of my friends works in a restaurant. She gets salary as cash as she told me that she is in EI for some reason and thus Govt. does not allow anyone to work whenever someone is in EI. My question is: is it a sin to work anywhere without letting Govt. know? Also, will that earning be halal? I think this is a very important matter for the community.

Answer

Can I Work Without Official Permit?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

It is obviously known that cheating is un-Islamic. Also, every Muslim is ordained to highly observe his or her income whether it is lawful (halal) or not making sure that every penny he or she earns must be from a halal way.

In his response to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

Muslims are not allowed to cheat anyone, including the government. If we wish to work and earn our income in a lawful (halal) way, there are other lawful ways. Allah has promised to open the doors for us if we are sincere and strive for it.

So, the income he or she has earned from this work is tainted with haram. They should purify it by repentance and refraining from such practices.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies