Can I Pay My Bank Interest to a Mosque?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Financial Issues > Can I Pay My Bank Interest to a Mosque?

Can I Pay My Bank Interest to a Mosque?

Nour

Jan 26, 2019

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Can I pay my bank's interest to needy Muslims or to my local mosque for their operating fund? Jazaka Allah khyran.

Answer

Can I Pay My Bank Interest to a Mosque?

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Mosques are related to devotional affairs like worship, so they should be financed through lawful (halal) ways. Hence, it is not permissible for you to pay the interest of your money to the mosque.

Responding to your question, Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf, Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies, states:

Earned interest (according to the Shari`ah it is not really earned) should be given to the poor and needy and the like of objectives that serve the community at large.

I would not suggest giving it for operating expenses of the mosque unless it is specifically used for the bathroom areas and their like, not for anything related to the prayers area because it is more respected than being financed from haram.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Prof. Dr. Monzer Kahf

Professor of Islamic Finance and Economics at Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies