Can I Give Zakat al-Fitr in Cash?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Zakah and Charity > Can I Give Zakat al-Fitr in Cash?

Can I Give Zakat al-Fitr in Cash?

Harun

Jun 24, 2017

Question

As this blessed month of Ramadan comes to an end, Zakat al-Fitr is what every person must be taking care of. Nowadays, giving cash instead of food has become a much easier option to take. However, Is it okay to give cash? Or must it be food?

Answer

Can I Give Zakat al-Fitr in Cash?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In this Fatwa:

1- The majority of scholars said that we should give Zakat al-Fitr in the form of food.

2- Imam Abu Hanifa and some other scholars said that you can give Zakat al-Fitr in the form on money.

3- Imam Ibn Taymiyyah said if we see there is more need for money than food, we give basically money.

Sheikh Waleed Basyouni answers these questions in this Video:

Can I Give My Zakat In Cash? | Shaykh Waleed Basyouni | Faith IQ

Q: Can I give my Zakat in cash or does it have to be given as food? As this blessed month of Ramadan comes to an end, Zakat Ul Fitr is what every person must be taking care of. Nowadays, giving cash instead of food has become a much easier option to take. However, Is it okay to give cash? Or must it be food? Shaykh Waleed Basyouni explains.

Publié par Faith IQ sur vendredi 23 juin 2017

Source: Faith IQ Facebook page.

Allah Almighty knows best.

About Sheikh Waleed Basyouni

A graduate with a Bachelors in Islamic Sciences from Al-Imam Muhammad University, KSA. He did his Masters in Islamic Theology, World Religions and Modern Religious Sects from Al-Imam Muhammad University; and PhD in Theology from Graduate Theological Foundation, Mishawaka, Indiana, USA.