Does Using an Asthma Inhaler Break the Fast?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Does Using an Asthma Inhaler Break the Fast?

Amal

Question

I heard two fatwas about using inhaler to relieve asthma attacks during the fasting of Ramadan. One fatwa permits the use of the inhaler and the other fatwa says using it breaks the fast. I am not sure which one to follow. Will the use of the inhaler, which mainly goes to the lungs, affect my fasting?

and

Answer

The use of an inhaler during fasting is permissible because the inhaler only provides some moisture.

With regard to your question, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the ISNA and member of the Fiqh Council of North America, answers:

The use of an inhaler during fasting is permissible because the inhaler only provides some moisture; it doesn’t involve the taking in of any liquid or food through the mouth. Even when we take a breath, we take in some moisture into our throats and that doesn’t break our fast. Therefore, in any similar way, the use of an inhaler is permissible.

The late Saudi scholar Sheikh Abdul-`Azeez Ibn Baz (may Allah bless his soul), said:

The use of inhaler is permissible in case of necessity, based on the verse: “… and He has already made plain to you what He has forbidden to you– excepting what you are compelled to…” (Al-An`am 6:119)

It is also permissible because it does not resemble food or drink; it is similar to undergoing a blood test or taking non-nutritional injections.

About Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi is the Chairman of the Fiqh Council of North America