Skipping Fasting Due to Training: Permissible?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Skipping Fasting Due to Training: Permissible?

Ali

Jun 10, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. Is it possible to change the day you are fasting to another date? I have running practices during Ramadan and I was wondering if I can fast another day instead of that day.

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

1- It is not allowed to skip fasting because of playing for a hobby.

2- If, however, it is a career you are pursuing, then you should do everything possible to postpone practice during Ramadan.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Fasting is the third foremost pillar of Islam; it is a mandatory duty on every adult Muslim who is not sick or traveling, or, in the case of women, menstruating or undergoing post-natal period of bleeding.

The period of fasting is also fixed and cannot be altered. If one is not able to fast for the reasons mentioned above, they must do so later when conditions change.

It is not allowed to skip fasting because of playing for a hobby. If, however, it is a career you are pursuing, then you should do everything possible to postpone practice during Ramadan. You are not allowed to change the fasting month for another month.

If, however, it is a question of skipping a few days, and you have no choice over it, then, according to some scholars, you are allowed to skip them, and fast later.

Source: Excerpted with slight modifications from www.islam.ca.