Can I Skip Voluntary Fasting If I Miss Sahur?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > I Slept Past the Time of Sahur: Can I Skip Voluntary Fasting?

I Slept Past the Time of Sahur: Can I Skip Voluntary Fasting?

Imran

Apr 24, 2019

Question

If I made intention to fast voluntary fasting, but did not wake up for sahur. Can I choose not to fast?

Answer

Can I Skip Voluntary Fasting If I Miss Sahur

If missing sahur make you feel you cannot offer voluntary fasting, then it is not to your ability to maintain and you can skip fasting on that day.

Answering your question, Sheikh Kifah Mustapha, the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US, states:

Yes, you can choose not to fast on that day. This is a voluntary fasting not an obligatory one. All preferred acts or Sunnah are of your choice to practice or drop.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “That which I forbade you off, avoid. And that which I ordained on you, practice to your ability.” (Al-Bukhari)

If missing sahur makes you feel you cannot fast voluntarily, then it is not to your ability to maintain and you can skip fasting on that day.

About Sheikh Kifah Mustapha

Sheikh Kifah Mustapha is the Imam and Director of The Prayer Center of Orland Park and representative for Dar El Fatwa of Lebanon in the US