Does Ejaculation Due to Sexual Thoughts Break the Fasting?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Fasting > Does Ejaculation Due to Sexual Thoughts Break the Fasting?

Ayman

Question

As-salmu `alaykum. My age is 24 and I am from Pakistan. Since one year I have the bad habit of thinking about sex and girls whenever I go to bed, and sometimes it makes me to ejaculate. Now the same occurs during Ramadan while I am fasting. Sex thinking makes me ejaculate in bed. (I am not sleeping) so does it have any effect on my fast? If yes, what would be the penalty? Jazaka Allah khyran

Answer

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

1- You should seize the chance of the blessed days of Ramadan to get rid of your bad habit. With patience, more involvement in good deeds, and resolve, you’d be able to free your mind of such thoughts.

2- Scholars have different opinions on whether or not ejaculation due to sexual thoughts invalidates the fast. However, you need to be more careful and spare no efforts to render your fast rewardable and virtuous.

Answering your question, Dr. Wael Shehab, PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University and currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada, states:

I would like to advise you to spare no efforts to get right of such a bad habit that may negatively affect you.

You may engage in reciting some adhkar (duaa), tasbeeh, or Qur’anic verses when you go to bed. You may listen to some good Qur’anic recitations or good songs.

You may busy yourself with reflections on good things such as the marvels of the world.

You may go through professional counselling for help too.

If you could get married, this will be of great help.

As for ejaculation while fasting because of thinking about sex, scholars are not in agreement regarding ejaculation due to lustful looking or sexual thoughts. But, you should be careful as ejaculation due to masturbation breaks the fast.

In his well-know, Fiqh Al-Sunnah, late Sheikh Sayyed Sabiq says:

“Ejaculation voids the fast even if it was just due to kissing, hugging, or masturbation, and the day must be made up for later. If ejaculation was due to lustful looking at or thinking about sex, then it is like having a wet dream during the day and it, therefore, does not void the fast nor is there any requirement on the person. Similarly, ejaculation of seminal fluid (madhi) does not harm the fast in any way.”

About Dr. Wael Shehab

Dr. Wael Shehab has a PhD in Islamic Studies from Al-Azhar University. He is currently the Imam of the Downtown Toronto Masjid in Canada.