Miscarriage of an 11-Week Baby: Should I Name Him?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Family > Miscarriage of an 11-Week Baby: Should I Name Him?

Hilary

Nov 27, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I apologize for my ignorance but I need to ask few questions about miscarriage. I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks of pregnancy but was told that my baby died at 9 weeks. I need to know if I need to bury the embryo. Also, I am wondering if my baby has a soul. Should I name my baby? Friends and family tell me that my baby will be waiting for me in the hereafter. Is this true? I am having a lot of trouble letting go. I do not know why. I do believe that everything happens for a reason and that Almighty Allah's plan is the best for us. Almighty Allah loves my baby. Why do I feel that it so difficult to let go? Does it mean that my faith is not strong?

Answer

Miscarriage of an 11-Week Baby Should I Name Him

Wa `alaykum as-salamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

It is better to bury the embryo. It is up to you whether you would like to name the baby or not.

Responding to your question, Zeinab Al-`Alawani, instructor of fiqh and Islamic studies at the Graduate School of Islamic and Social Sciences, states:

May Allah grant you patience and compensate you for your loss.

This is a natural feeling as you went through pregnancy and became very attached to the baby. It is very difficult to let go, but make sure you do not think or speak ill of Almighty Allah, but rather, continue to observe patience and rely on Almighty Allah to grant you a great reward.

You should anticipate this baby to intercede on your behalf on the Day of Judgment. You should fill your time with duaaand prayer so you do not feel lonely.

It is better to bury the embryo and this would also be more of a relief for you. You do not have to name it, but if you feel so, it would do no harm. The baby starts to have a soul after 4 months.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Zeinab Al-`Alawani

The Founding Director of the Islamic Studies program at Howard University School of Divinity (HUSD).