Marriage after Pregnancy from Illegal Relationship: Valid?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Women Issues > Marriage after Pregnancy from Illegal Relationship: Valid?

Nora

Aug 01, 2017

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. I am not sure if my marriage is still valid or not. We got married while I was pregnant and adultery was also committed in the relationship. What does that mean for the marriage?

Answer

Marriage after Pregnancy from Illegal Relationship

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

Your marriage is valid as long as you have repented of your sin.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Your marriage is valid as long as you have repented of your sin. The fact you were pregnant does not make a difference as long as you married the same person who made you pregnant.

Having said I should remind you that fornication and adultery are both most heinous sins in Islam. So, it behooves everyone who is guilty of such offenses to seek repentance. Repentance, however, is not merely uttering some words to that effect; rather it entails taking steps to change and make amends.