Living with Adopted Brother: Allowed?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Family > Living with Adopted Brother: Allowed?

Living with Adopted Brother: Allowed?

Dalia

Oct 22, 2017

Question

As-salamu `ayalkum. I’m a new sister to Islam. My question is: I was adopted; my parents had four of their own children and then adopted one boy before me. We grew up together in the same house since we were babies. I’m planning to move in with my brother who was adopted by the same parents but I know we are not birth siblings. Do I have to wear hijab around him because he is not my birth sibling and did not share the same milk of the same mother? What is the rule on this in Islam?

Answer

Adopted Brother

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

1- As for adoption, in the sense of changing one’s identity and lineage, it is prohibited in Islam. However, it is allowed, even recommended, for Muslims to take care of orphans in the sense of providing both physical and spiritual care for them.

2- You are not allowed to live with your adopted brother as is not a mahram (unmarriageable) for you. So, you have to wear the hijab in front of him.

Responding to your question, Dr. `Abdul-Fattah Edris, Professor of Usul Al-Fiqh, at Al-Azhar University, stated,

It is settled that adoption in the sense of changing one’s name and lineage is prohibited in Islam. So, as long as you and this adopted brother are not birth siblings and you both haven’t shared the same mother’s milk, you are not allowed to live with him. He is not a mahram (unmarriageable) for you.

Given the above, you have to wear the hijab in front of him. Also, you can’t live with him as a brother.

About Dr. `Abdul-Fattah Edris

Professor of Usul Al-Fiqh at Al-Azhar University