Does Husband Have the Right to Force His Wife to Live with His Family?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Women Issues > Does Husband Have the Right to Force His Wife to Live with His Family?

Zahira

Jan 24, 2019

Question

My wife and I live in a house separate from my family’s house, because there were so many problems, and I promised my wife that I would not leave her. After a while, my father asked me to come back to the family home to live with him, me and my wife, but my wife refused. What should I do? Should I obey my father and break the promise I made to my wife?

Answer

The husband does not have the right to force his wife to live with his family.

Answering your question, the Fatwa Center at Islam Q and A, states:

Undoubtedly the rights of the father over the child are great. But so long as your wife does not want to live in his house, then you cannot force her to do so.

You can convince your father of that, and let your wife live in a separate house, whilst maintaining contact with your father, honoring him, pleasing him and treating him kindly as much as you can. (Al-Muntaqa min Fatawa ash-Shaykh Salih Al-Fawzan, 3/405)

Source: www.islamqa.info

About Fatwa Center at Islam Q & A