Committed Mistake with My Fiancé: What to Do?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Family > Committed Mistake with My Fiancé: What to Do?

Committed Mistake with My Fiancé: What to Do?



Reply Date

Mar 16, 2018


As-salamu `alaykum. I am a Muslim lady. I have committed a sin which is very shameful and I'm embarrassed of what I have done. I was engaged for the last four years. Last month my fiancé asked me to send some pictures of me for the first time. I told him that we are not in nikah and he should not force me to do this. He provoked me and I was very angry and I just took off my shirt not everything. I sent him those pictures and asked him to leave me. At that time I was crying, he called me and said sorry to me and asked me to pray nafl and make istighfar and he also prayed. I ask for forgiveness from Allah but I'm not feeling relieved. My fiancé supported me and said that he won't leave me. After sometimes he started ignoring me. I cried and asked Allah to forgive me. What I have done ruined my life and my character. I don't know his decision now. He is not responding to me. I won't marry anybody as I think it’s cheating. I don't know how to convince him to marry me. As husband and wife are (libas) of each other so I don't want anybody to see me as it will definitely remind me of what I did.




Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

In this fatwa:

1- Surely you have made a big mistake, but it is good of you that you have asked Allah Almighty for forgiveness.

2- Moreover, you should also ask Allah Almighty to protect you from any evil that guy might think of.

Responding to your question, Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD in Islamic Studies in English and an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Science, Al-Madinah International University, states:

It was a big mistake, sister, to try to please a person by displeasing Allah. You see the result now. This is also the result of mingling with men and thinking that a fiancé has a right to mingle freely with his fiancé.

First, you have to repent sincerely to Allah and earnestly ask Him to forgive your sin.

Now, perhaps your fiancé has repented sincerely and has changed his opinion toward you after what you did. In this case, just pray to Allah to compensate you and grant you a better one. Perhaps, also, he gives himself time to re-estimate your relationship.

But if he has not repented sincerely, then no one can expect what he will do. All you can do is to pray hard to Allah to preserve your reputation and to protect you against any evil intended by this person.

Also ask Allah to grant you a good, religious husband to help you abide by the teachings of your religion.

Allah is All-Knowing, All-Powerful and the Accepter of Repentance; in whose Hands are the treasures of everything. So, just try to please Him and you will see the result.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Editor’s note: This fatwa is from Ask the Scholar’s archive and was originally published at an earlier date.

About Dr. Muhammad Salama

Dr. Muhammad Salama, PhD, Islamic Studies in English, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Sciences al-Madinah International University (Mediu)

find out more!