Can a Widow Marry against Her Parents’ Will?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Women Issues > Can a Widow Marry against Her Parents’ Will?

Heba

Jul 27, 2018

Question

As-salamu `alaykum. I am from Pakistan but living in Germany. I am divorced since 6 years. I have 2 sons, 10 and 7 years old. My question is whether I can do marriage again. What can I do? Without my father’s permission, can I marry or not? If my family doesn’t want this, what can I do? I have waited for many years but I have no solution of this matter.

Answer

Widow

Wa `alaykum as-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

You can marry the man you want as long he is a good practicing Muslim. However, you are highly advised not to break your relation with your parents. Rather, you should try to convince them with your need for marriage.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

You are allowed to marry anyone you choose as long as the person is compatible. The criterion for choosing a marriage partner in Islam is sound faith and character.

Therefore, if you find someone that fits this criterion, you are allowed to marry him even if your father does not give you consent. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A woman who is married and divorced or widowed has a greater right to decide for herself than her guardian.” (An-Nasa’’i)

However, I would still advise you not to break up with your parents on this issue. You should do your best to make them understand your position and your need to get married.