Can I Shake Hands with My Wife’s Mother?
Home > Ask the Scholar > Women Issues > Can I Shake Hands with My Wife’s Mother?

Basim

Mar 23, 2018

Question

As-Salamu alaykum. Is it permissible to shake hands with wife’s mother and to travel with her?

Answer

Can I Shake Hands with My Wife’s Mother

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

There is nothing wrong with shaking hands with wife’s mother because she is a mahram,

Answering your question, Sheikh Salih Ibn Fawzan Al-Fawzan, A member of the Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’ in Saudi Arabia, states:

Yes, there is nothing wrong with shaking hands with wife’s mother because she is a mahram, as Allah has made her permanently unlawful for marriage to the husband of her daughter.

Allah says, listing the women who are mahrams:your wives’ mothers” (An-Nisaa’ 4:23) i.e., your wives’ mothers are mahrams (forbidden in marriage) to you.

Therefore she is one of your mahrams, and there is nothing wrong with you shaking hands with her or traveling with her.

But if there is the fear of fitnah, then you should not shake hands with her, such as if you fear that there will be some temptation or provocation of desire in shaking hands with her, then do not shake hands with her. (Al-Muntaqa min Fatawa al-Shaykh al-Fawzan 3/question no.450)

Source: www.islamqa.info

About Sheikh Salih bin Fawzan Al-Fawzan

Member of the Permanent Committee for Ifta' in Saudi Arabia